Deaucheran Hill Wind Farm
Deaucheran Hill Wind Farm Project Data Sheet (PDF, 11 MB)
As E.On’s first Scotland based wind farm, AmcoGiffen were selected in 2010 to ensure the ongoing mechanical maintenance and major/minor servicing and repairs associated with the nine Vestas V66 1.6MW turbines.
Sustaining the operational functionality of the iconic wind farm, we are providing ongoing support.
AmcoGiffen's Scope of Works
Combining traditional skill with cutting edge thinking and innovation, we were contracted to arrange and undertake all scheduled and reactive maintenance works. Providing engineering expertise to support turbine failure investigations, our scope of duties included:
- Asset appraisal
- Operating risk management
- Develop work procedures and safety documents for standard/complex repairs and maintenance
- Design and implementation of proprietary maintenance software
- Planning and project control software
- Mechanical and Electrical (M&E) planned preventative maintenance
- 24 hour call out and help line
- Cabling support
- Identify to the owner and help procure any specialist tools required
- Auditing of the maintenance team and any subcontractors
Some great work over the recent months has resulted again in 142 out of 142 WTGs running in the UK. This is a great achievement and the more consistent level of performance is leading to some great generation and this being recognised at the highest level in our organisation!
During one major servicing, the site team identified cracks in all 9 turbines. Continually embracing and implementing new and more effective ways of providing enhanced project delivery, AmcoGiffen worked closely with EOn ENT, WCEL and CDM to develop the safe systems of work and a welding procedure to provide repairs that still stand today.
Modifications carried out in 2017 to the I beam above the gearbox enabled an anchor point for the constant rate descender to be attached. This provided an improved angle for the descender to operate whilst removing an injured party from the hub, providing an anchor point to the internal crane for the zip wire. The changes resulting from the simulated evacuation were seen as a big improvement. We continue to develop all areas of maintenance to provide long-lasting functionality of the wind farm.
Providing boundless advantages for the surrounding community, AmcoGiffen assisted in perpetuating the clean fuel source. Our multi-disciplinary approach, combined with a highly motivated and multi-skilled directly employed workforce, enables us to deliver specific specialist services or fully integrated engineering solutions in response to complex client needs.
Helping to keep the nation green by tapping in to an unlimited, renewable resource, further benefits provided by AmcoGiffen include:
- Round the clock support
- A robust and comprehensive understanding of the technical scope
- A strong commitment to around the clock health and safety
- The ability to promptly adjust to project modifications