Hereford to Newport Line Reopened ahead of Schedule
AmcoGiffen are pleased to report the Hereford to Newport Line was reopened ahead of schedule. Not due to open until Monday 4th November the team worked relentlessly, allowing the line to reopen on Friday night just in time for busy weekend shoppers and Monday morning commuters.
Weekending 27th October saw extreme rain and flooding wash away ballast and track foundations at a number of locations in Pontrilas, South Herefordshire. Since the closure, AmcoGiffen working alongside Network Rail teams have been onsite working around the clock to restore the line for passengers.
The work delivered to reopen the line includes:
- The removal and replacement of sleepers
- The removal and replacement of tack
- Transporting to site and laying of foundation materials
- Transporting to site and laying of ballast stones;
- Drainage and culvert inspections
- Checks to signalling, power and telecom cables
- Repairs to fencing to secure the line
Chris Howchin, Network Rail’s route programme director, said
“I’m delighted that we’ve managed to reopen the line ahead of schedule – restoring a vital rail link for Wales and Borders. The whole team worked tirelessly in difficult weather conditions and it’s a fantastic result for passengers.”
Once again well done to our colleagues working in all weather conditions, you did a brilliant job.