Pont-y-pant Emergency Works
With storm Doris causing considerable damage across Wales, a large tree had uplifted and landed on the LJT1 line in Dolwyddelan, which runs between Blaenau Ffestiniog and Llandudno.
Renowned for our reactive emergency works, AmcoGiffen were selected to restore the line and surrounding areas to operational safety. This involved undertaking heavy rock scaling and devegetation off ropes to remove the possible threat of a large rock slide should the rock formation fail.
AmcoGiffen’s Scope of Works
Rapidly attending site, we brought our geotechnical engineer to assess the cutting slope and rock formations. An exclusion zone was set up and all work suspended within the area as it became clear that the damage to the slope was a lot worse than originally anticipated. This meant that the scope of works was subject to continual change due to the threat that was determined from the finding of large fractures within the rock formation.
Our further scope of works included:
- Inspections, surveys and site assessments
- Liaison with Natural Resource Wales in order for us to be able to fell trees on their land
- Installation of track protection
- Cutting down and removal of the tree
- Heavy rock scaling
- Devegetation of ropes
- Stabilisation of the site
- Explosive blasting
The unforgiving territory, rock form, conditions and isolation at Pont-Y-Pant, required a dynamic response. The use of specialist explosive teams was managed incredibly well, reducing the risk to workers and significantly reducing the delivery by weeks.
Committed to improving delivery through innovation, our scope developed as the works progressed, and blasting with explosives to clear the areas became part of the required works.
Collaborating effectively with a local specialist contractor, this element of the works was undertaken successfully, paving the way for us to continue with providing a safer railway.
The stabilisation works provided the local residents, passengers and holiday makers with the confidence to use the rail service, as the works undertaken were completed to ensure maximum safety to the operational infrastructure.
Benefits of the project included:
- A safer, operational rail line
- Heightened safety of the local community
- The trees removed from site were logged and issued locally to farmers and the local hotel
- Commercial benefits to the remote village of Dolwyddelan, through local hotel and shop use Further benefits provided by AmcoGiffen:
- A robust and comprehensive understanding of the technical scope
- A strong commitment to around the clock health and safety
- The ability to promptly adjust to project modifications
For further info please contact Marcus Daniells, firstname.lastname@example.org
Pont-y-pant Emergency Works Data Sheet (PDF, 2.12 MB)
Posted in Rail